Adapted from Hostess with the Mostess.
What you need...
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 6 ounces (12 tablespoons) cold unsalted butter, cut into ½-inch pieces
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- About 3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar to powder on top.
to make the crust:
1. Preheat the oven to 325°F.
2. Combine the flour and confectioners’ sugar in a bowl until mixed well.
3. Add the butter and continue to mix. I mixed it by hand so that it would be an even, buttery, dough...sort of like what a butter cookie looks like pre-shaped/baked.
4. Gently press the mixture evenly onto the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan (or in my case, a 9" cake pan). Bake until golden brown, 25 minutes. Let cool to room temperature.
5. Reduce the oven temperature to 300°F.
to make the filling:
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and granulated sugar until smooth.
2. Stir in the lemon juice and then add the flour.
3. After checking your crust is at room temperature, pour the filling on top of the crust. Bake until the lemon filling is set, about 50 minutes.
4. Let cool to room temperature. Afterward, you can either put in the refrigerator for 1 hour or keep at room temperature for 3 hours before cutting. Dust the top with confectionery sugar.