Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Green Tea cupcakes


Here's another cupcake post for you because I'm too intimidated to make a real cake and cupcakes are easy and fun to share! Sorry if I'm putting your S'mores cupcakes to shame, Andi but you know what? Yours are more in spirit to this blog though!
I found this recipe from my friend Angela's Tumblr, but I modified it a lot because I don't like following directions. If you're a fan of light and fluffy cupcakes, this is for you. It's not too sweet or heavy, which is a perfect guilt-free snack/treat...even if it's not "healthy."
Ingredients:
1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, room temperature

1 cup sugar

2 large eggs
; 2 egg yolks
2 cups all-purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 cup milk (or soy milk, which is what I used)
2-5 tablespoons green tea matcha (basically green tea powder. I feel that even if you add the 5 tablespoons, it's still not overpowering.)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a cupcake tin with cupcake liners...or if you're like me, forgo the cupcake liners because seriously, I don't need to impress anyone.
2. Beat butter on high until soft, about 30 seconds.
3. Add sugar. Beat on medium-high until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
4. Add eggs one at a time, beating for 30 seconds after each egg. Add egg yolk, one after a time as well.
5. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour and baking powder. Add to batter and mix to combine.
6. Whisk 2 tablespoons matcha into the milk until completely dissolved. Add to the batter and mix until combined. Taste and add more if you want a stronger green tea flavor.
7. Fill cupcake liners 3/4 of the way.
8. Bake for 22-25 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean. Cool completely before icing with green tea cream cheese frosting.

Green tea cream cheese frosting
I seriously eye-balled a lot of this so you should experiment with HOW MUCH frosting you want. You'll see in my photos that I don't have a lot because my dad isn't into sweets.
Ingredients:
8 oz Philly cream cheese, room temperature
half a stick of unsalted butter
1 cup confectionery/powdered sugar, sifted
2 tb matcha
2 tb milk, if you want a "runnier" frosting
Directions:
Beat cream cheese and butter until fluffy. Add sugar and matcha (and milk if needed), beat till you have a whipped-like consistency. Top it on your cupcakes when the cupcakes are finally cool.

Now photos!
Right out of the oven. Look at that awesome green color!

Adding the frosting:

First bite!

1 comment:

Andi? said...

Can you come live with me? I am serious.